Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Goal: Meet People!

I took step one in meeting some people last night. I did something that I am relatively confident in, or was, swimming. I attended a US Swim Masters practice in hopes of meeting some swimmers my age and to get into a workout that I will look forward too.

Well, my evening started with trepidation as I entered the pool parking lot, clueless as to who might guide me in the direction of a Swim Master Member. I had *NO IDEA* how popular swimming pools are in Maui. Duh, right? Swimming, water polo, diving, you name they are amazing and gung-ho about it. The weather is perfect for it year round so it make senses.

Anyway, I saw an older man, no make that, an older gentleman, who looked like he might be involved in the swim master program. He was *SO* kind. He explained everything and was genuinely excited for me to join the group.

I was still nervous, even after this great introduction because I began to wonder about my swimming skills and how they would stack up against the other swimmers. Let me remind you, it has been 2 years since I have swam regularly so I am no where near in swimming shape.

Bob, the very nice gentleman introduced me to the swim coach, Mike. He instantly started asking me what my swimming background was/is.  "Uh, I do sprint triathlons and was on a club swim team in college. I'm self-taught and not great, but I CAN swim." I left out the part that I was on the team for two days and really? 'I can swim?' Ugh.  Anyway, I still had this crazy feeling that I was going to impress everyone with my graceful swimming.

Nope, sorry to say, that graceful swimming was worthless and drowned last night. I learned some techniques to swim more appropriately and actually use the rest of my body versus just my arms. My abs are actually sore and that is GREAT!

So after realizing that I wasn't that good, in horrible swim-shape, and not very fast. I thought "What the hell, this is great. No cares, if I hold them up because they aren't waiting for me."

For once in my adult life, I was able to let go and focus on improving my technique and totally forgot to worry about what others might think of my ability. "So what if I suck, I am trying and listening to what I am told." This motto of sorts kept running through my head, it was a great realization. Oh and the fact that I wasn't last in every set, some sets yes, but in others I was in the middle of the pack. For being out of shape and learning so much, I am proud of the results.

I cannot wait until next Tuesday to go back, learn more, and maybe meet a couple of the swimmers that were my age. After all that was the goal I went in with, but came out with a whole slew of other goals that I met by attending that one practice and hope to continue to meet at other practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment