Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Recipe: Smothered Enchiladas from Southern Living

In the past year I have really taken up a love for cooking. I like to try new recipes and place my own healthy twist to them. I'll share one with my edits to make it healthier 


Smothered Enchiladas
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

  • 2  pounds  ground beef - use 93/7 ground beef
  • 1  (1 1/4-ounce) package mild taco seasoning mix
  • 1  (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, divided
  • 2  (10 3/4-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup - use low fat cream of chicken, helpful hint use low fat it has less sodium then "less sodium" , however I am sure this depends on the brand so check labels 
  • 1  (16-ounce) container sour cream - use fat free
  • 8  (8-inch) flour tortillas - you can use whole wheat, I don't like whole wheat tortillas so I use regular flour tortillas 
  • 2  cups  (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese - use 2% milk fat cheese 
  • Garnishes: Homemade Salsa, sour cream, green onion curls, chopped fresh cilantro


Preparation

Brown ground beef in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and half of chopped green chiles; set aside.
Stir together remaining green chiles, soup, and sour cream. Pour half of soup mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
Spoon beef mixture evenly down centers of tortillas; roll up. Place, seam sides down, over soup mixture in baking dish; top evenly with remaining soup mixture and cheese.
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.
This is super creamy, tasty and quick. My co-worker who promised herself she would cook more in 2011 loved this recipe because it was easy and her family enjoyed it. I was pleased that I inspired her to cook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment