Saturday, January 29, 2011

Farmers Market - Grade 2

As I was shopping at the local farmers stand the lady waiting on me was concerned about how the zucchini and cucumbers looked. She explained that because these two vegetables are so expensive at this time of year, she orders/picks 'grade two' cucumbers and zucchini from the farm in UpCountry Maui. She said because they don't look perfect she able to keep her costs down and transfer the savings to her customers. Personally, I had never thought about it, but now that I do I think that's great. Often time things that look perfect have lost taste or nutritional value. I do, however, need to think about eating vegetables that are out of season.




Based on some quick research cucumbers and zucchini can be found year-round, like most veggies and fruits these days but their true season is May through August. 

I am pretty good at buying local, living Maui does have its limitations to local produce, now the second part of the equation is to buy in season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment